qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] block I/O throttling: how to enable in libvirt

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] block I/O throttling: how to enable in libvirt
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 09:49:34 +0100

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 09:11:49AM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 01:05:31PM +0800, Zhi Yong Wu wrote:

> > >QEMU I/O throttling does not provide a proportional share mechanism.
> > >So you cannot assign weights to VMs and let them receive a fraction of
> > >the available disk time.  That is only supported by cgroups
> > >blkio-controller because it requires a global view which QEMU does not
> > >have.
> > >
> > >So I think the two are complementary:
> > >
> > >If proportional share should be used on a host block device, use
> > >cgroups blkio-controller.
> > >Otherwise use QEMU I/O throttling.
> > Stefan,
> >
> > Do you agree with introducing one new libvirt command blkiothrottle now?
> > If so, i will work on the code draft to make it work.
>
> No, I think that the blkiotune command should be extended to support
> QEMU I/O throttling.  This is not new functionality, we already have
> cgroups blkio-controller support today.  Therefore I think it makes
> sense to keep a unified interface instead of adding a new command.

Agreed, the virDomainGetBlkioParameters/virDomainSetBlkioParameters
APIs, and blkio virsh command are intended to be a generic interface
for setting any block related tuning parameters, regardless of what
the underling implementation is. So any use of QEMU I/O throttling
features should be added to those APIs/commands.

Daniel