qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Guest kernel device compatability auto-detection

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Guest kernel device compatability auto-detection
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 09:04:55 +0100

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 09:22:45AM +0300, Sasha Levin wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 16:25 +0000, Decker, Schorschi wrote:
> > 2) implement the feature as an agent in the guest OS where the
> > hypervisor can only query the guest OS agent, using a standard TCP/IP
> > methodology.
>
> I was planning to implementing it by probing the image before
> actually booting it.  This process is completely offline and doesn't
> require interaction with the guest. The guest isn't even running at
> that point.

There are still plenty of security issues to be concerned about with
handling an offline guest.  It is quite possible for such a guest to
be booby-trapped in a way that allows an exploit.  I summarised some
of the issues I thought about here, but there are likely to be others:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#security

Rich.