qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Guest kernel device compatability auto-detection

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Guest kernel device compatability auto-detection
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:48:25 +0100

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:40:34AM +0300, Sasha Levin wrote:
> From what I gathered libguestfs only provides access to the guests'
> image.

Correct.

> Which part is doing the IKCONFIG or System.map probing? Or is it done in
> a different way?

You'll have to see what Matt's doing in the virt-v2v code for the
details, but in general we have full access to:

 - grub.conf (to determine which kernel will boot)
 - the kernel image
 - the corresponding System.map and config
 - the modules directory
 - the Xorg config
 - boot.ini or BCD (to determine which NT kernel will boot)
 - the Windows Registry
 - the list of packages installed (to see if VMware-tools or some other
   guest agent is installed)

So working out what drivers are available is just a tedious matter of
iterating across each of these places in the filesystem.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top