qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem

From: Minoru Usui
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:44:58 +0900

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 09:30:49 +0300
Gleb Natapov <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 09:51:16AM +0900, Minoru Usui wrote:
> > Hi, everyone
> >
> > I'm in trouble about boot order of VM.
> > If anyone know cause of this problem, please let me know.
> >
> The cause of the "problem" is the design. booindex and -boot only
> modifies the order in which bios will search for bootable device.
> It does not exclude devices from a boot device list.
>
> > On following environment, I tried to boot from IDE CD-ROM device
> > without inserting any bootable media, which is expected to fail,
> > but VM was booting up from virtio HDD which was not specified as bootable
> > device.
> >
> >   * host : RHEL6.1(x86_64)
> >     guest: RHEL6.1(x86_64)
> >   * VM has IDE CD-ROM and virtio HDD.
> >   * There is no bootable media in IDE CD-ROM.
> >   * RHEL6.1 is installed in virtio HDD
> >   * Only IDE CD-ROM was spcified as bootable device.
> >   * XML configuration of libvirt is below.
> >     I tested <boot dev> and <boot order> setting,
> >     but both are booting up from virtio HDD.
> >     -------------------------------------------------------
> >     [<boot dev> setting version]
> >       <os>
> >         <type arch='x86_64' machine='rhel6.1.0'>hvm</type>
> >         <boot dev='cdrom'/>
> >         <bootmenu enable='no'/>
> >       </os>
> >
> >     [<boot order> setting version]
> >        <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
> >          <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
> >          <target dev='hdc' bus='ide'/>
> >          <boot order='1'/>
> >          <readonly/>
> >          <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='1' unit='0'/>
> >        </disk>
> >     -------------------------------------------------------

I tested another one about <boot order> case on RHEL6.1, and I also faced
another problem.

VM has two virtio HDD. HDD1 is installed RHEL6.1, HDD2 is empty.
I specified boot order to HDD1:1, HDD2:2, VM booted up from HDD1,
but boot order HDD1:2, HDD2:1 case, VM couldn't boot up from HDD2.
(It searched CD-ROM, NIC(gPXE), and finally stopped booting.)

It seems seabios searches only 1 device per device list(HDD, CD-ROM, NET,
FLOPPY).
Is it true?

<boot order> can specify per device, so shouldn't seabios search all device,
even if it specifies multiple device per device list?

--
Minoru Usui <address@hidden>