qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] drop -enable-nesting

From: Nadav Har'El
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] drop -enable-nesting
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 18:16:23 +0300

On Mon, May 30, 2011, Jan Kiszka wrote about "Re: drop -enable-nesting":
> > "-enable-nesting" could remain as a synonym for enabling either VMX or SVM
> > in the guest, depending on what was available in the host (because KVM now
> > supports both nested SVM and nested VMX, but not SVM-on-VMX or vice versa).
>
> Why? Once nesting is stable (I think SVM already is), there is no reason
> for an explicit enable. And you can always mask it out via -cpu.

As far as I understand (and this was previously discussed on the QEMU mailing
list), the default emulated CPU does not include the "vmx" capability, and you
need to enable it with something like "-cpu qemu64,+vmx" (or "-cpu host").

I am not sure if it does enable the "svm" capability. If it does, it isn't
useful when KVM is enabled and the underlying host has VMX, not SVM.

Nadav.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Monday, May 30 2011, 27 Iyyar 5771