qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Webcams under KVM and Linux

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Webcams under KVM and Linux
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 16:56:32 +0200

On 05/30/11 14:50, Natalia Portillo wrote:
Exactly what my webcam does is:

Takes a frame from ANY available V4L2 device (/dev/video0), caches it,
and sends it completely to the guest before requesting any other frame.

I think you can double-buffer (i.e. let the host driver fill one buffer while sending the other one to the guest). Probably gives a slightly higher frame rate, but maybe at cost of added latencies.

The guest sees a common USB Video Class Device webcam with no controls
(this can be enhanced easily), so basically you cannot change any parameter.
However all the webcams I tested automatically managed that in the
firmware with no intervention from any of the drivers (host or guest),
changing white balance and brightness to the adequate values.

Nice.  Patches are waiting for EHCI being merged I guess?

cheers,
  Gerd