qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Booting custom kernel in qemu

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Booting custom kernel in qemu
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 11:41:50 +0200

Am 28.05.2011 um 22:05 schrieb Apelete Seketeli:

On 27-May-11, Amit Shah wrote:
On (Thu) 26 May 2011 [21:59:01], Apelete Seketeli wrote:
I wanted to launch the kernel in a terminal for practical purposes, so
I tried:

qemu -kernel bzImage -append console=ttyS0

Add -serial stdio to get those logs.

[...] For the time being I'm using

qemu -kernel bzImage -append console=ttyS0 -S -nographic

in order to launch gdbserver in the monitor and attach a gdb in the
host; [...]

You can use -S -s or -S -gdb ... for that.

$ qemu -S -kernel arch/x86/boot/bzImage -append console=ttyS0 - nographic -serial stdio
chardev: opening backend "stdio" failed
qemu: could not open serial device 'stdio': No such file or directory

Why do I get an error since stdio is (according to the manual) the
standard device in non graphical mode ?

-nographic implies -serial stdio, so it's redundant. When using SDL or Cocoa, -serial stdio gives you serial on the console in addition to the graphical window. -nographic just gives you the console output.

HTH,
Andreas