qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] A Question

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] A Question
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 23:32:36 +0100

On 5 May 2011 23:13, Rob Landley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 05/05/2011 02:01 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> I'm afraid I don't entirely understand your file naming
>> system there -- it seems to say which architecture the
>> system images are for but not what board?
>
> Exactly.  An armv5l root filesystem will run on dozens of boards.  You
> need to rebuild the kernel for a specific board, but not the root
> filesystem or toolchain.

Doh, I should have read the readme a bit more carefully. I
usually take "system image" to mean "complete disk image
including bootloader, kernel and initrd as well as rootfs",
which obviously does include the board-specific bits. On the
other hand the readme does say the tarball includes "a kernel"
so in that sense it is board-specific, presumably.
(ARM kernels having alas not yet got to the point where you
can build a single kernel that will boot on everything.)

-- PMM