qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] documentation on qemu

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] documentation on qemu
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:54:07 +0300

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Renjith Ravindran
<address@hidden> wrote:
> hi all..
>         i am renjith a cs student from inda. I am new to this list :)
> recently i had done some study of qemu as part of an academic project, in
> the process i had made some documentation on qemu ..theory and and some high
> level code organization etc.
> i got info from ppts, qemu forums (discussions of be.stefano and
> bluesqirl..if i am right)...and some code reading by myself. I thought it
> could be useful to other beginners. It would be good if someone here could
> review it.  I am attaching the chapter from my report. pls tell if the doc
> is any good.

Maybe it can be useful. Perhaps you could also use it to improve QEMU
documentation, for example clarifying qemu-tech.texi and adding
comments to poorly commented source files?

On page 30, the architecture list is slightly misleading. For example,
i386 directory contains support for both x86_32 and x86_64, likewise
MIPS, SPARC and PPC.

p. 31: GCC was used only during QEMU build even with dyngen. A C file
containing the ops was compiled with GCC, this was processed by dyngen
tool to extract the host machine instructions for each op.

p. 36 Figure 7.6: the ops are corrupted.

There are a few typos, for example QEMU is not written using correct
case in the chapter heading, which repeats on the top of every page...