qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] is it just me or is ne2k broken in qemu?

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] is it just me or is ne2k broken in qemu?
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 00:37:35 +0400

15.04.2011 18:17, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 12:31 +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:

>> The NIC works for a while, but after a few packets,
>> or a few 1000s of packets, it stalls.  In tcpdump
>> on the host I see many ARP requests coming from the
>> guest and each has corresponding ARP reply, but
>> nothing is actually reaching the guest.

> For testing the iPXE ROMs I booted up each NIC, including ne2k_pci, to a
> network loaded kernel (~4M) and installation initrd (~8M).  I stopped
> the test at the point where the installer kernel was able to
> successfully DHCP with the boot NIC.  ne2k_pci was definitely the
> slowest of the cards at loading the images, but I didn't notice any
> functionality issues.  Maybe I didn't let it run long enough, but the
> boot ROM seems ok with it.

I'm doing exactly the same here, -- testing iPXE booting,
so booting linux kernel over network.  I haven't been able
to boot linux on ne2k so far, it fails somewhere down the
road after loading initrd+kernel - either during initrd
run or about after switching to new init (still running
off network ofcourse) after mounting nfs root.

So when I encountered this issue I tried non-network boot
and various versions of (linux) guest and qemu-kvm - and
for me, ne2k always fail (stalls) after some time.

And Mulyadi Santosa mentioned it's apparently a known issue
due to some timer-related problem in the code.

/mjt