qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How does the QEMU load the binary files bios.bin and vg

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How does the QEMU load the binary files bios.bin and vgabios-cirrus.bin?
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:21:16 -0500

On 04/07/2011 01:44 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
KVM doesn't support SMM although that's not because of this.  KVM
doesn't allow execution of ROM memory which makes it difficult to
implement PAM in the way it's intended to be implemented.  This
makes SMM a bit tricky to make work.  Since there's never really
been a pressing need to support SMM, to my knowledge, noone has even
tried.

KVM allows to execute ROM memory (BIOS and option roms run this way). It
just makes it indistinguishable from RAM, but read only memory slot
support shouldn't be too hard. Why ability to execute ROM memory is
needed to support SMM though?

QEMU does the leg work already to support SMM. It doesn't work with KVM because we treat SMM as ROM memory and trap read/write access.

To make it work with KVM, you'd have to hack things around to switch the VGA space to RAM in order to the let the SMM code run. It's not impossible, but that's the main reason it doesn't Just Work.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

--
                        Gleb.