qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu contribution but out the GSoC

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu contribution but out the GSoC
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:08:00 +0100

Hi Devang,

On 21.03.2011, at 09:17, Devang S wrote:

Hello,

This year i am not eligible to participate in gsoc. But really want to contribute to qemu project.

Do i have any chance?
Do you mentor projects outside gsoc?
Can I somehow contribute to qemu project, out of the gsoc?
Can I get mentor outside of the gsoc, like other organizations provide?

This mostly depends on two factors:

1) Would you have been accepted as student for gsoc?

There's a certain skill level required to participate. If for example I'd have to spend 3 weeks full-time explaining things before you even could get started with real work, unfortunately the trade-off is too bad.

2) Is there anyone willing to mentor the project you're trying to do?

Qemu is a very broad project. If you happen to choose a part of it that nobody understands, you might end up not getting anyone willing to mentor you :).

Also keep in mind that Qemu is an open source project, so we all mentor each other all the time. That's what this whole patch review thing is about :).

Alex