qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] FVD Paper Accepted to USENIX ATC'11

From: Chunqiang Tang
Subject: [Qemu-devel] FVD Paper Accepted to USENIX ATC'11
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 12:46:55 -0400

I am pleased to report that a short of version of the FVD-cow paper I
previously posted here was just accepted to USENIX Annual Technical
Conference (USENIX ATC'11), which is a prestigious and highly competitive
research conference in the systems field. This shows from another angle
(in addition to the good performance numbers) that FVD indeed advances the
state-of-the-art in virtual machine image format. Coincidentally, Fabrice
Bellard's original paper on QEMU was also published in USENIX ATC several
years ago.

The draft version of the long FVD-cow paper is available at
http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/files/us-ctang/FVD-cow.pdf .
This paper focuses on the on-demand image streaming feature of FVD, i.e.,
using FVD's bitmap to efficiently implement copy-on-write, copy-on-read,
and adaptive prefetching. Other features of FVD (including journal, small
lookup table, and the most recent work on efficient internal snapshot) are
not yet published in research paper, and will be posted here once
published, which can serve as detailed documentation of the FVD algorithm
and code.

Regards,
ChunQiang (CQ) Tang, Ph.D.
Homepage: http://www.research.ibm.com/people/c/ctang