qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: kvm crashes with spice while loading qxl

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: kvm crashes with spice while loading qxl
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 18:11:41 +0100

On 03/05/2011 05:35 PM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
TCG and KVM execution behaviour can become more
similar wrt locking by dropping qemu_global_mutex during generation and
execution of TBs.

Of course for memory or PIO accesses from vcpu context qemu_global_mutex
must be acquired.

-icount already has most of the machinery needed for this.

At this point, I think people interested in TCG should choose between staying with legacy and gaining a bit more speed for uniprocessor simulation, or following KVM with a more complex architecture and finer-grained locking---but also a more future-proof design.

BTW, I'll post soon patches for iothread -icount that work (at least in my tests), are much simpler than anything I posted so far, and hopefully will show that iothread is not fundamentally incompatible with anything (and in fact can simplify things much more than complicate them).

With that in place, it becomes easier to justify further improvements
regarding parallelization, such as using a read-write lock for
l1_phys_map / phys_page_find_alloc.

Or URCU (userspace RCU), too.

Paolo