qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch 2/3] Add support for live block copy

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch 2/3] Add support for live block copy
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 09:32:52 -0600

On 02/25/2011 06:02 PM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
+- "commit_filename": target commit filename (json-string, optional)
I think we should drop this.
Why? Sorry but this can't wait for non-config persistent storage. This
mistake was made in the past with irqchip for example, lets not repeat
it.

Its OK to deprecate "commit_filename" in favour of its location in
non-config persistent storage.

Its not the end of the world for a mgmt app to handle change (not saying
its not a good principle) such as this

If you're looking for a stop-gap, I'd suggest adding an optional "action" parameter. This parameter would take a string with valid values of "stop", "none".

If action=stop, then when block copy finishes, the guest will be stopped and an event will be sent. This lets a management tool get notified, update it's config, and then continue the guest. If the management tool crashes, it can do a query-block-copy to see that the copy finished along with a query-status to fix the guest.

This is more in line with how our other commands work.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori