qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 8

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 8
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:31:14 +0200

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 02/13/2011 03:00 PM, Blue Swirl wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>
>>  wrote:

>>> You need hookable setters/getters that can acquire a lock and do the
>>> right
>>> thing.  It shouldn't be able to dead lock if the locking is designed
>>> right.

>>> It's not just in theory.  In the C++ port of QEMU that I wrote, I
>>> implemented an AND, OR, and XOR gate and implemented a full 32-bit adder
>>> by
>>> just using a device config file.
>>>
>>> If done correctly, using referencing can be extremely powerful.  A full
>>> adder is a good example.  The gates really don't have any concept of bus
>>> and
>>> the relationship between gates is definitely not a tree.

>>> C already has a message passing interface that supports type safety
>>> called
>>> function pointers :-)
>>>
>>> An object that implements multiple interfaces where the interface becomes
>>> the "message passing interface" is exactly what I've been saying we need.
>>>  It's flexible and the compiler helps us enforce typing.

>>> Yeah, it's possible, but I don't want to spend my time doing this.

>>> A good way to judge where a device is using a bus interface correct: does
>>> all of it's interactions with any other part of the guest state involve
>>> method calls to the bus?
>>>
>>> Right now, the answer is no for just about every device in QEMU.  This is
>>> the problem that qdev really was meant to solve and we're not really any
>>> further along solving it unfortunately.

>>> No.  The common pattern of shallow conversion is:
>>>
>>> struct SerialState
>>> {
>>>    // device state
>>> };
>>>
>>> struct ISASerialState
>>> {
>>>   ISADeviceState parent;
>>>   SerialState serial;
>>> };
>>>
>>> void serial_init(SerialState *s);
>>>
>>> void isa_serial_init(ISADevice *dev)
>>> {
>>>    ISASerialState *s = DO_UPCAST(dev);
>>>    serial_init(&s->serial);
>>> }
>>>
>>> The problem with this is that you cannot use serial_init() if you want to
>>> have the device be reflected in the device tree.
>>>

>> But why would serial_init() be used anymore since isa_serial_init() is as
>> good?
>>

> The point is that it's not.
>
> Instead of doing error checking in one call, you've gotta do error checking
> in a half dozen calls because each of the set calls can fail.

I don't understand. The caller just does
if (isa_serial_init()) {
  error();
}
or
if (serial_init()) {
  error();
}

If you mean inside isa_serial_init() vs. serial_init(), that may be
true since isa_serial_init has to check for qdev failures, but the to
the caller both should be identical.