qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: new->old version migration

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: new->old version migration
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 20:23:08 -0600

On 02/07/2011 03:52 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
How does it? We need to know we are saving in 0.13
format and skip the new subsection, otherwise
0.13 will see a subsection it does not recognize
and exit.

If you used subsections for flow control, presumably you would only send the new savevm data if you had data buffered.

If you add a qdev property to enable/disable flow control, then if it's disabled, you naturally would never send the subsection because you'd never buffer data. So no explicit code is needed to support migration.

The difficult case is when you truly need to change the savevm version. I don't think we have a proper fix for this because versions are linear so the proposed patch certainly wouldn't be a good way to do it. if flow_control=0 causes savevm 3 to be used instead of 4, and then the next_feature=0 causes savevm 4 to be used instead of 5, the semantics of flow_control=0,next_feature=1 becomes problematic.

But as long as the feature has isolated state, we can solve the problem robustly with subsections.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

We also need API to add subsections without vmstate,
because virtio serial wasn't yet converted.