qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux as VirtualBox quest OS with QEMU running Solaris

From: Mateusz Loskot
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux as VirtualBox quest OS with QEMU running Solaris
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:21:52 +0000

On 12/01/11 14:40, Artyom Tarasenko wrote:
On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Mateusz Loskot<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 12/01/11 12:32, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

On 12/01/11 11:57, Artyom Tarasenko wrote:

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Mateusz Loskot<address@hidden>
wrote:

On 10/01/11 21:04, Artyom Tarasenko wrote:

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Mateusz Loskot<address@hidden>
wrote:

I suggest using QEMU git master. You could try the binaries
from my website: http://www.weilnetz.de/qemu/

Stefan,

Thank you very much!
So far, I have tried to use versions of QEMU from Qemu Manager 0.7
as well as QEMU 0.13 from
http://homepage3.nifty.com/takeda-toshiya/
but without any luck. I suppose it's because these versions do not
have most recent OpenBIOS usable with SPARC.

If you need Solaris, OpenBIOS is currently not your choice.

I understand.

Have to use an OBP blob.

Where can I find instructions on how to use it?

Actually, I don't need Solaris but SPARC.
So, even Linux for SPARC would do for me.

I tried Debian 4.0 (etch) and Debian 5.0 (lenny) but with no luck.
I think I confused the 32 vs 64 bit and SPARC flavors.

32 bit Debian 4.0 should work out of the box, also with OpenBIOS.

OK, then I will stick to the Linux distribution for 32-bit SPARC
and see if it works for me.

If anyone is curious, I did a quick test on my over-engineered
configuration with Windows Vista running VirtualBox with Ubuntu 64-bit
as guest system running QEMU which is supposed to run Debian Etch 32-bit
SPARC.

I run:

$ qemu-img create -f qcow hda.img 20G
$ qemu-system-sparc -m 256 -hda hda.img -cdrom
/home/mloskot/software/debian/debian-40r8-sparc-netinst.iso -boot d
-localtime

Try -nographic .

Here is what I get, no output, CPU runs 100% for long -40-sminutes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mloskot/5349339628/

I can use CTRL-a to access terminal commands and monitor

In the meantime, I also tested Debian Etch with QEMU 0.13 running directly under Windows Vista. I installed QEMU 0.13 from binaries downloadable using Qemu Manager (http://www.davereyn.co.uk/). (I'm having problems with Stefan Weil's binaries as explained in this thread, even if I can run them, the qemu-img.exe behaves strange not accepting disk sizes).

Anyway, It looks Debian booted properly:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mloskot/5348739869/

I've just passed partitions formatting step, fingers crossed.

Also it's interesting to know whether you see
something when you start qemu-system-sparc without any command line
options.

Here is what I get

$ qemu-system-sparc
qemu: Too much memory for this machine: 384, maximum 256

By the way, I run

$ qemu -version
QEMU PC emulator version 0.12.3 (qemu-kvm-0.12.3), Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

Thinking of future, could anyone estimate when it will be possible to
boot Solaris 10 installation from ISO disks, if at all?
To summary, what OS alternative for SPARC we have got apart from Debian which are known to work under QEMU? *BSD systems?

Best regards,
Member of ACCU, http://accu.org