qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [OpenBIOS] [RFT] ppc64 OpenBIOS

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [OpenBIOS] [RFT] ppc64 OpenBIOS
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 17:54:55 +0100

Am 18.12.2010 um 17:33 schrieb Blue Swirl:

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Andreas Färber <address@hidden > wrote:
Hello,

Except for some fs/iso9660/ issues, ppc64 guests are booting for me with the
last five OpenBIOS patches posted.

What are the issues?

It still hangs after the "Trying" line, as reported in the "ppc64 boot issues" thread.
The exact cause is as of yet unknown.

You can find them together with the config change to use fs/grubfs/ here:

 git://repo.or.cz/openbios/afaerber.git ppc64-boot

Please test your favorite ppc64 kernels and images with
obj-ppc64/openbios-qemu.elf!

Passes my simple tests. The only problem is that building forthstrap
on a 64 bit host fails.

Right. Should we hack switch-arch as an interim solution to make it work?

If I don't hear of regressions, I'll commit those patches. Once that is done and the iso9660 issues hopefully fixed, I would ask for Blue to commit openbios-ppc and openbios-ppc64 blobs to QEMU. I'll then prepare a QEMU patch to switch the default qemu-system-ppc64 ppc_newworld.c BIOS from
openbios-ppc to openbios-ppc64.

I think openbios-ppc should be renamed to openbios-ppc32 for
consistency with Sparc naming.

No objection from my side.

Andreas