qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch 0/2] USB UHCI global suspend / remote wakeup

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch 0/2] USB UHCI global suspend / remote wakeup
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:49:53 +0100

On 11/26/10 03:15, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:38:28AM +0000, Paul Brook wrote:
This patch enables USB UHCI global suspend/resume feature. The OS will
stop the HC once all ports are suspended. If there is activity on the
port(s), an interrupt signalling remote wakeup will be triggered.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong.  Suspend/resume works based on physical
topology, i.e. the resume notification should go to the the port/hub to which
the device is connected, not directly to the host controller.

You are correct in that USB HUB emulation does not propagate resume, but
this does not make this patch incorrect.

Well, it does. When the notification is port based our software model should better reflect that, so we have the chance to add resume propagation to the hub emulation later on.

I guess the Ops should be moved from the USBBus to the USBPort to reflect that. This way the hub emulation and the uhci root hub can have different callbacks, which is needed to get this correct.

cheers,
  Gerd