qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Passing boot order from qemu to seabios

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Passing boot order from qemu to seabios
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:44:39 +0100

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Gleb Natapov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 12:01:58PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:

>> >SeaBIOS may do that but gPXE internally just probes all PCI devices.
>> >It does not take advantage of the PCI bus/addr/fn that was passed to
>> >the option ROM.  A gPXE instance will try booting from each available
>> >NIC in sequence.
>>
>> It still registers a BEV entry though, no?

Yes.

>> Does it at least try to boot from the PCI bus/addr/fn of the
>> selected BEV entry?

Not directly.  It probes all PCI devices and tries them in bus/addr/fn
order.  If you have two identical NICs and only have the boot ROM on
the second NIC, the first NIC will still try to network boot first.

Changing this behavior requires stashing away the bus/addr/fn and then
using it later in gPXE's startup.  It's possible but not implemented
today.

Stefan