qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] profiling software execution using qemu

From: Lluís
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] profiling software execution using qemu
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 14:18:03 +0200

Bahadir Balban writes:

> I would like to trace instruction execution using QEMU. Is this
> possible?

> Ideally I would like to dump all executed instruction locations to a
> file, then match this information to function names based on the debug
> symbols in my ELF file, then finally analyze the parts that execute the
> most. Is this possible with qemu? Anyone who did this kind of work?

If you want it for x86, you might use this (I still haven't inserted
points for other architectures):

   git clone https://code.gso.ac.upc.edu/git/qemu-instrument
   https://projects.gso.ac.upc.edu/projects/qemu-instrument

This is just a set of static instrumentation points, what to do with
them is up to you. If you just want tracing the addresses you could
simply define a INSTR_GEN_FETCH that calls a helper you must define
that, in turn, writes your information into disk by any means you see
fit.

Note that this is just a proof of concept, so in the worst case it can
give you some hints on where to look for the information that you want.

Lluis

 Tollbooth