qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] eepro100 multicast

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] eepro100 multicast
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:03:31 +0200

Am 25.09.2010 21:11, schrieb Dunc:
Hi all,

I've been trying to set up some olives running inside qemu to practice
for Juniper exam. I came across the multicast issue when enabling VRRP

After lots of googling and reading forums, where people have being doing
hacky patches, I found a page that suggests this has been fixed now,
just not in a formal release

(here for reference)
http://www.internetworkpro.org/wiki/Using_QEMU_with_Olive_to_emulate_Juniper_Routers#Getting_and_Installing_QEMU

I had a look through gitweb and can see there has indeed been a commit
to fix multicast in eepro100 and so I've built a qemu based on latest
git (as of yesterday). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to fix things for
me, however I do have a different error now....

eepro100: feature is missing in this emulation: Multiple IA bit

The setup of this link is quite simple, I have 2 qemus running using tap
mode for network, and I have bridged them together on my host (Linux)
When I configure the network I can successfully ping across the link
with no problems, but as soon as I enable VRRP on either end, I start to
get the above error at regular intervals (I assume it's each time VRRP
sends a multicast hello), and also my link stops pinging altogether.
When I remove VRRP config, the link pings again.

Does anyone know what's going on, or if I'm doing anything wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Dunc

The OS which was used here is based on FreeBSD.

I reviewed the latest sources of Linux, FreeBSD and NetBSD.
They all reset the multiple IA bit (multi_ia in BSD) to zero,
but I did not find code which sets this bit to one
(like it is done by Juniper routers).

Running Windows guests also does not set this bit.

Intel's Open Source Software Developer Manual does not
give much information on the semantics related to this bit,
so I had to guess how it works.

My patch could help Dunc, but if anybody has more information
or driver code which makes use of this bit, that would be
really helpful.

Regards
Stefan