qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] BUG - qdev - partial loss of network connectivity

From: Leszek Urbanski
Subject: [Qemu-devel] BUG - qdev - partial loss of network connectivity
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:18:32 +0200

Hi,

This is a qemu-kvm (i.e. not qemu) bug report. I've been told on IRC (#kvm)
that this bug report should go to this list anyway.

host and guest kernel: 2.6.32.22
arch: amd64
qemu-kvm: 0.12.5 and 0.13.0-rc1

How to reproduce: copy a large (few hundred MB) file to an NFS mount
(guest is the client), using qdev syntax for virtio:

-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=tap1,mac=ab:cd:ef:01:23:45 \
-netdev type=tap,id=tap1,ifname=tap1

all NFS mounts immediately stall and processes go into D state and are stuck
on nfs_wait_bit_uninterruptible. There is no further communication between
the client and the server. It occurs with UDP and TCP mounts.

That same guest, when switched to the old -net/-net syntax:

-net nic,vlan=0,model=virtio,name=eth0,macaddr=ab:cd:ef:01:23:45 \
-net tap,vlan=0,ifname=tap1

works fine. It also works fine on bare metal.

I can reproduce the problem every time within 10 minutes with qdev.

--
Leszek "Tygrys" Urbanski, SCSA, SCNA
 "Unix-to-Unix Copy Program;" said PDP-1. "You will never find a more