qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] minimal install issues

From: Jon Hancock
Subject: [Qemu-devel] minimal install issues
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:34:40 -0400

I'm new here and exploring options for a product I'm tasked to build.
need to create a virtual machine appliance (guest: linux, host: win xp/vista/7).  I must minimize the install process as much as possible.

Installing Qemu + appliance VM as two separate install processes is too much for the end user.  I need to have no host reboots and the end user would be incapability of answering questions about their networking.  The only thing I can assume is the windows host has a working connect to the Internet.  The guest vm does not need to communicate with the host.  The vm simply needs Internet access.  Which networking options should I be looking into in this case?  The docs @
http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking  don't tell me enough to know which road to go down.

I would ideally like a single EXE, "zero-install" solution.  Also  acceptable is unpacking a zip into a directory and having the entire solution self contained.

Any advice as I go down this road?  Is there an example of an appliance doing something similar I can study?

thanks, Jon