qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Unmaintained QEMU builds

From: Tristan Gingold
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Unmaintained QEMU builds
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:38:51 +0200

On Sep 7, 2010, at 12:44 AM, Andreas Färber wrote:

>>> That's doable and useful, yes.
>>
>> I doubt it's useful.
>>
>> [...] We don't have myriads of users demanding better Windows support.
>> Search the list, there's almost no one asking questions about Windows [...]
>
> Right. There's some more recent posts on that QEMU forum, although buried
> beneath a pile of spam.
>
> Anyway, it's a chicken-and-egg problem. There's not much Win32 (nor Win64)
> contributions, there's a guesstimated minor number of users. Many of us
> including myself don't really care about the platform. When some Windows user
> does show up and reports an error against QEMU Manager v7.0, we have no clue
> what QEMU exactly that is based on, how it was compiled and whether there may
> be downstream patches involved, so we're not of much help. Nobody that I
> remember ever came up with git-bisect results to pinpoint where/how their
> regression was introduced.

We use qemu on windows.  But in fact all our work is currently based on qemu
0.11.

But we don't use qemu like most of you: we mostly care about ppc, we don't care
about the bios (we directly run our executables) and
we run without vga card (serial line is fine for us).  This configuration works
(or maybe worked) pretty well.

When qemu 0.13 will be available, we will try to port our patchset on both 0.13
and head.  We also plan to submit some of our patches.
Then we will try to more closely follow the development.

Tristan.