qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Should QMP be RPC to internal C interfaces?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Should QMP be RPC to internal C interfaces?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:38:45 -0500

On 08/30/2010 10:28 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Having two interfaces guarantees failure. What's the separation between internal and external? Is qdev internal or external?

Let me put it another way, compatibility cannot be an after thought.

We need to think deeply about compatibility when we design our interfaces and we're going to have to redesign interfaces with compatibility in mind. It's a hard problem but it's solvable. Just defaulting arguments in QMP doesn't do anything to improve compatibility.

We cannot radically change our internal implementations and expect to bridge it all in some special sauce code somewhere.

This also suggests that we're going to have to practice deprecation to evolve our APIs in a reasonable fashion.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,

Anthony Liguori