qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vhost_net.c broken by --kerneldir

From: Arnd Bergmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vhost_net.c broken by --kerneldir
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:50:24 +0200

On Thursday 26 August 2010, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> You forgot about developers. Developer may want to use latest kvm kernel
> headers to compile code that he added to qemu to use new kernel feature.

In that case, you already need to install the kernel in order to test
it, so you might as well install the headers along with it.

Also, you're not normally touching multiple headers at a time, but rather
add a feature in one file, so it's not hard to add it to both copies of
that file. This may seem like an unnecessary step, but using the kernel
headers without installing them first can cause any number of problems
that we don't want anyone to have to deal with.

        Arnd