qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulate character device

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulate character device
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:13:00 +0100

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Thisara Rupasinghe
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your information.
>
> That means i can pass web cam as usb device into the emulator. right?
> If you can give me some directions, that will be very helpful.

Please keep address@hidden CCed so others can help too.

Passing a USB webcam into the Android guest would work if the Android
OS has the required USB webcam driver.  You could check the Android
source tree or ask the developers to understand what webcam drivers
are available.

QEMU USB passthrough works like this:
$ qemu -usb -usbdevice host:VVVV:DDDD

Where VVVV is the vendor ID and DDDD is the product ID of the device.
You can find these using lsusb(1) on the host.  For example:
$ lsusb
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 003: ID 413c:2003 Dell Computer Corp. Keyboard
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 413c:3012 Dell Computer Corp. Optical Wheel Mouse

If I want to pass through the keyboard, I use -usbdevice host:413c:2003.

I haven't tested these steps, it's been a while since I used USB
passthrough.  For a full guide, try:
http://bitbud.com/2008/08/09/usb-device-passthrough-under-kvm/

Stefan