qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Networking problems

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Networking problems
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 19:12:14 +0200

Hello,

I've spent the last day trying to get NetBSD installed on a QEMU
virtual machine. The problem I'm having is that I can't get online. As
of now, this is the command I'm using:

qemu -cdrom netbsd-i386cd-5.0.2.iso -hda NetBSD.img -no-acpi -net
nic,model=pcnet

With this command I can get a virtual machine, NetBSD runs, it detects
the network card, it does not complain about the network card, and it
attempts to use DHCP to get online. And that's where things go wrong.
QEMU emulates a DHCP server and NetBSD cannot even see it.

Earlier I had it at the point where it would receive an IP in the
10.x.x.x region, as well as a gateway and nameserver but then it still
couldn't ping anywhere.

Needless to say, I'm feeling very frustrated right now. I really hope
that someone here can help me out. I want to get networking with QEMU.
I just want it to work and I feel about ready to throw my computer out
the window.

Daniel.
--
Intolerant people should be shot.