qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] memory trace with qemu

From: Eliot Moss
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] memory trace with qemu
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 06:57:32 -0400

On 7/26/2010 6:20 AM, Lluís wrote:
Eduardo Cruz writes:

Thanks for your awnsers. Stean, after I find the right place to capture the
reads and writes I'll definitely try your trace tool.

Until now, this is what i found:

I am using the x86-64 target, and I know that, for instance, lots of reads
pass here:

target-i386/translate.c   gen_op_ld_T1_A0()

Ok, I've seen at least 3 people working on this lately.

Some time ago I wrote a message proposing two sets of modifications for qemu, in
order to allow the analysis of guest code (like feeding traces to an
architecture simulator).

What I proposed is based on two different functionalities:

1) backdoor: a mechanism for the guest to communicate with qemu, such that
    tracing can be started, stopped, etc.

    My current approach is to decode an instruction that is deemed invalid by
the
    target ISA according to the manual.

    This is only implemented for x86 right now, but it is trivial to implement
on
    other architectures as long as there are unused opcodes.

2) instrumentation: a set of generic macros that signal events that might be of
    interest.

Etc.

In the context of another simulator, we developed a different
technique, which would be quite general and might be of interest
for QEMU.  We communicate with the simulator via a "fake" *device*,
mapped into user-mode memory using an mmap call.  If someone
devised and coded such a device, then it could be used from any
guest.

Regards -- Eliot Moss