qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) dev

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) device
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:34:11 +0100

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:55:33AM +0300, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> Why not put then on cdrom or disk?

It simplifies device and mountpoint enumeration not to have a separate
disk.  It would also mean we couldn't use standard Fedora paths, or
we'd have to have bind-mount /bin etc on to the disk mount point,
which again complicates things.

Anyway, what we're talking about here is a problem in qemu.  How is
making initrd loading faster not a benefit for everyone?  Every boot
has to load an initrd of some size, so making that operation faster
benefits every user, even if individually only by a small amount.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v