qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio block device and sysfs

From: Ryan Harper
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio block device and sysfs
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:33:33 -0500

* Marc Haber <address@hidden> [2010-06-29 13:16]:
> Hi,
>
> I had lost this topic for more than a few weeks...
>
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:59:20AM -0400, john cooper wrote:
> > Marc Haber wrote:
> >>
> >> *argh* That sounds like politics.
> >
> > Well, maybe.  But it is hard to argue with anyone calling the
> > ATA_IDENTIFY interface ugly -- it is.
>
> Indeed. It was designed to interact with Hardware, not with software
> trying to look like hardware.
>
> > Concerning qemu->virtio_blk communication, I don't think an
> > argument to use PCI config space exists after one looks at
> > the implementation of adding a new virtio request.
>
> Indeed. Frankly, I don't care too much about how the information is
> passed into the guest as long as the guest can read what the host
> said. (mis)using ATA data was only a naive approach since I know that
> there is an existing interface. If there is a better one, even better.

> >> Re-using an existing interface would probable make it easier for
> >> non-Linux OSses to also take advantage of this, since their ATA driver
> >> is already there.
> >
> > Exactly my singular motivation and honestly the only redeeming
> > quality of propagating that crusty interface.
>
> But otoh, I will only use Linux on the guest side, and it is
> motivation for other developers to build a virtio driver for their
> favorite OS.

> >> If it brings the issue forward and gives me hope to be able to do what
> >> I want to do in a reasonable time frame, why not.
> >
> > Just time.  But I'll resurrect the patch so we don't have to go through
> > all of this again.
>
> Did that work?

We've got a sysfs 'serial' attribute for virtio-blk devices upstream[1].
I've got udev support for using this attribute to create disk/by-id (and
a fix for by-path) symlinks[2].  All that remains is to
re-spin/post the qemu virtio-blk serial patches[3] and get that in and
we'll have the full stack working as I've already tested libvirt (which
has disk serial support).

1.
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/virtualization/2010-June/015324.html
2. http://www.spinics.net/lists/hotplug/msg03931.html