qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: block: format vs. protocol, and how they stack

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: block: format vs. protocol, and how they stack
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:01:19 +0200

Am 21.06.2010 15:37, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> On 06/21/2010 08:30 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:

>>> If we drop the distinction, then I think the remaining issue is how to
>>> expose the stacking to a user.
>>>
>>> Right now, we could have a syntax like:
>>>
>>> -blockdev format=file,file=image.qcow2,id=base  \
>>> -blockdev format=qcow2,backing_dev=base,id=blk1
>>>
>>> backing_dev is a sucky name, but hopefully the point is clear.  I think
>>> the following would be a better user syntax:
>>>
>>> -blockdev format=qcow2,file=image.qcow2,id=blk1
>>>
>>> I think the easiest way to support this is to make qcow2 take a file
>>> parameter and have it open the file with default options.  For users
>>> that need anything more sophisticated a user has to use the former syntax.
>>>
>> Not only qcow2, but also raw, qcow, vmdk, vdi, bochs, cow, dmg, ...
>>
>> In short: Any format needs an underlying protocol. You may not call it
>> by its name, but that's effectively what you'd implement. And if you
>> implemented it in each format driver instead of generic code, you'd be
>> doing a bad implementation.
>>

> Sure.  I don't think it would be all that difficult to implement in
> common code.

Probably not. I mean, if you ignore blkdebug for a moment, this is
what's implemented today. But it makes a difference between formats and
protocols: If you say format=qcow2, you get qcow2 on file. If you say
format=file, you get just file with no other protocol because file is
already one (I think what you really should get is an error message, but
that's another topic...)

>> The more I think about it, the more I believe that the logic of how qemu
>> handles things is made much clearer if we actually call it by its name
>> and expose the distinction to the user.
>>
>> "If there is no protocol specified, qemu will pick one automatically"
>> vs. "If you specify an image in raw, qcow2, qcow, vmdk, vdi, bochs, cow,
>> dmg or blkdebug format and you have no backing_dev specified, qemu will
>> pick one automatically; it won't do so for images in file, host_device,
>> host_flopy, host_cdrom, nbd, http or vvfat format." It's an easy choice.
>>

> Are you basically saying:
>
> [1] -blockdev format=qcow2,protocol=file,file=foo.img,id=blk1
>
> Because what I was suggesting is that we don't allow protocol=XX here.
> We would try to guess the protocol from foo.img.  If a user wishes to
> override this, they should do the full syntax of:
>
> [2] -blockdev protocol=host_dev,file=/dev/sda,id=base \
> -blockdev format=qcow2,backing_dev=base,id=blk1

No, what I'm saying is that even in your model

  -blockdev format=qcow2,file=image.qcow2,id=blk1

becomes qcow2 -> file automatically, whereas

  -blockdev format=vvfat,file=/tmp/dir/,id=blk1

doesn't become vvfat -> file, but stays just vvfat.

This is the difference between a protocol and a format. The logic is
that you need one protocol and if you don't specify it explicitly, qemu
will guess it.

If you decide to avoid calling them format and protocol, you need to
talk about "raw, qcow2, qcow2, vmdk, ..." instead of "format" and about
"file, host_device, ..." instead of "protocol" - because you have
removed the terms, but not the concepts.

I think the user interface is clearer if we call them by their name.

> But we're also suggesting s/protocol/format/ because the distinction
> doesn't seem to be important unless you try to support syntax [1] and
> you need a mechanism to specify the leaf format (which you're calling a
> protocol).

Syntax [1] would be a nice abbreviation when you need to specify the
protocol explicitly, but it's not what decides about the concept.

Kevin