qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Getting tcg in a standalone library

From: Peter Fritzsche
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Getting tcg in a standalone library
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 23:27:01 +0200

Hi,

I am currently quite interesting in tcg for binary translation. There are many
emulator projects (I mean mostly console emulators) out there which start to
implement more or less bad ILs to translate their specific cpu (for example
gameboy has z80, n64 has r4300i, gamecube has powerpc 750CXe, ...). These are
most of the time x86 only and very limited. But it seems that qemu's cpu
libraries aren't made for those cpu's and don't seem to provide the needed
infrastructure for emulating such highly integrated systems (please correct me
if I am wrong).

I think that the best way to share code would be if other projects could also
use tcg for their translation needs. But it seems to me that it it to tightly
integrated into qemu and cannot be ripped out. Are their any plans to open it
for other projects as you have already done it with the emulation cores?

Best regards,
        Peter