qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu problem with xp, maybe off topic for this list

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu problem with xp, maybe off topic for this list
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 20:27:08 +0000

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Kristoffer Gustafsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello!
> Sorry for mailing about something here that should be on a qemu users forum,
> but can't find a such one.

The forum seems to be down, but it should be at:
http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/

> I'm having trouble with installing windows xp on my qemu usting linux.
> I'm totally blind, so I use unattended xp installation.
> Everything gose fine until the final reboot, then the win xp just refuces to
> start.
> what can this be?

This may be related to earlier bug report "qemu hangs on shutdown or
reboot (XP guest)":
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/498035

The report is from 2009 and the bug seems to be still unfixed.

> I've tried 2 xp:s so it can't be the windows unattended installation that's
> wrong, but something in qemu
> I created images using two guides on the internet.
> one is at
> http://www.dreamwld.com/qem.txt
> I loaded the kqemu module with modprobe kqemu, and then I ran the
> installation from the iso file.

QEMU does not support kqemu anymore, so please use KVM module instead
if possible.