qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [SeaBIOS] SMBIOS strings

From: Sebastian Herbszt
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [SeaBIOS] SMBIOS strings
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 14:49:24 +0200

Jes Sorensen wrote:
Hi,

We were looking at the dmidecode output from qemu-kvm pre-seabios and
current qemu-kvm and noticed some of the strings have changed.

The main problem with this is that certain OSes are quite sensitive to
system changes and avoiding to change things unnecessarily would
probably be a good thing.

Which OSes do care? Windows only?

I wanted to check with the lists if there are any strong feelings about
this, and whether some of these changes were made for specific reasons?

For example:

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
-       Vendor: QEMU
-       Version: QEMU
+       Vendor: Bochs
+       Version: Bochs
       Release Date: 01/01/2007
       Address: 0xE8000
       Runtime Size: 96 kB

You can configure this with CONFIG_APPNAME.

and this:

Handle 0x0401, DMI type 4, 32 bytes
Processor Information
-       Socket Designation: CPU 1
+       Socket Designation: CPU01
       Type: Central Processor
       Family: Other
-       Manufacturer: QEMU
-       ID: 63 06 00 00 FD FB 8B 07
+       Manufacturer: Bochs
+       ID: 23 06 00 00 FD FB 8B 07
       Version: Not Specified
       Voltage: Unknown
       External Clock: Unknown

I guess the Socket Designation in particular might have been done for a
reason?

Otherwise, if there are no objections, I'll look at adding some patches
to make it more backwards compatible.

Cheers,
Jes

Is the different ID displayed on the same VM configuration (esp. -cpu option) ?
The value is gained by calling CPUID so it should not be different.

Which pre-seabios qemu-kvm bios are you comparing to?

Sebastian