qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] SVM emulation: EVENTINJ marked valid when a pagefault happe

From: Erik van der Kouwe
Subject: [Qemu-devel] SVM emulation: EVENTINJ marked valid when a pagefault happens while issuing a software interrupt
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 17:26:11 +0200

Dear all,

I have been experiencing problems with duplicate delivery of software interrupts when running a VMM inside QEMU with SVM emulation. I believe QEMU's behaviour deviates from the SVM specification in "AMD64 Architecture Programmer’s Manual Volume 2 System Programming" but I am not entirely certain because this specification isn't very clear. I would like to hear your views on this.

My set-up is as follows:
Host: Linux 2.6.31-21-generic-pae (Ubuntu 9.10)
VMM running on host: QEMU 0.12.3 (compiled from source)
Outer guest: MINIX 3.1.7 (from SVN, see http://www.minix3.org/)
VMM running on outer guest: Palacios 1.2.0 32-bit (from git, see http://www.v3vee.org/palacios/)
Inner guest: MINIX 3.1.7 (from SVN, see http://www.minix3.org/)

The issue is the following: whenever an software interrupt instruction (INT n, used in this case to perform a system call) in the inner guest triggers a page fault (used for shadow paging by Palacios, not a real guest page fault), QEMU sets the EVENTINV field of the guest VMCB to the exit information that the software interrupt would produce and marks it as valid. Palacios does not overwrite the EVENTINJ field, so after the page fault is handled a software interrupt event is injected. After the IRET of the interrupt handler, control returns to the original INT n instruction which once again triggers the interrupt.

This issue is easy to work around by clearing the EVENTINJ field on each #VMEXIT (and I have submitted a patch to that effect to the Palacios people) and this approach is also found in KVM.

However, I haven't been able to find information in the AMD documentation that mentions that the CPU sets the valid bit in the EVENTINJ field so, unless I am mistaken here, I believe this behaviour is incorrect. QEMU stores interrupt information in both EVENTINJ and EXITINTINFO while I believe it should be only in the latter. Unfortunately I don't have a physical AMD available to verify its behaviour.

The relevant code is in target-i386/op_helper.c. The "handle_even_inj" function sets the EVENTINJ field (called event_inf in the QEMU code) and the helper_vmexit function copies that field into EXITINTINFO (exit_int_info in the QEMU code). I believe (but once again, am not certain) that the SVM documentation only says that this information should be stored in EXITINTINFO.

Thanks in advance for any information,
Erik van der Kouwe