qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Windows guest debugging on KVM/Qemu

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows guest debugging on KVM/Qemu
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 11:24:54 +0300

On 05/24/2010 11:07 PM, Neo Jia wrote:
hi,

I am using KVM/Qemu to debug my Windows guest according to KVM wiki
page (http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/GuestDebugging).
It works for me and also I can only use one Windows guest and bind its
serial port to a TCP port and run "Virtual Serial Ports Emulator" on
my Windows dev machine.

The problem is that these kind of connection is really slow. Is there
any known issue with KVM serial port driver? There is a good
discussion about the same issue one year ago. Not sure if there is any
improvement or not after that.

How slow? Can you measure it (without a debugger, just guest-to-guest file transfer)?

slirp used to be ridiculously slow but some recent change made it fairly fast. Probably a missing wakeup, perhaps serial has the same problem. In any case I recommend testing with qemu-kvm.git master.