qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: vgabios + qemu: issues and plans.

From: Sebastian Herbszt
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: vgabios + qemu: issues and plans.
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 20:23:42 +0200

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
First, I'd like to be able to load the vgabios via PCI ROM bar on all
pci vga cards (stdvga, vmware, soon qxl).  The PCI ID in the bios has to
match the PCI ID of the card, so we'll need a bunch of vga bios
binaries, all identical except for the PCI ID.  Or we need some kind of
binary patching.  Otherwise seabios will not load them from the PCI ROM
bar.

Make vga bios aware of all ids?

Would work for the code doing the lfb address lookup. But I don't think the PCI option rom header allows multiple entries.

AFAIK it does not, but you can put multiple PCI option roms (concatenated)
on the BAR (see "6.3.1. PCI Expansion ROM Contents").

I also want to eliminate the magic number.
Boch vga bios is paravirtualized to get VBE address dynamically via a new
pci device with special pci device of device id 0x1234.

0x1234 happens to be the vendor id the qemu stdvga has. Probably the same is true for bochs. So this code actually looks up the emulated vga card ;)

Bochs and qemu use 0x1234:0x1111.

Sebastian

Are you meaning to follow bochs way?

Yes.