qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch to improve handling of server sockets

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch to improve handling of server sockets
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 09:29:45 +0100

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 03:49:50PM +0200, Reinhard Max wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am maintaining the tightvnc package for openSUSE and was recently
> confronted with an alleged vnc problem with QWMU that turned out to be
> a shortcoming in QEMU's code for handling TCP server sockets, which is
> used by the vnc and char modules.
>
> The problem occurs when the address to listen on is given as a name
> which resolves to multiple IP addresses the most prominent example
> being "localhost" resolving to 127.0.0.1 and ::1 .
>
> The existing code stopped walking the list of addresses returned by
> getaddrinfo() as soon as one socket was successfully opened and bound.
> The result was that a qemu instance started with "-vnc localhost:42"
> only listened on ::1, wasn't reachable through 127.0.0.1. The fact
> that the code set the IPV6_V6ONLY socket option didn't help, because
> that option only works when the socket gets bound to the IPv6 wildcard
> address (::), but is useless for explicit address bindings.

This seems to be something we overlooked in the initial impl. I don't
see any alternative but to make QEMU listen on multiple sockets in
the scenario you describe. An even clear example is to consider binding
QEMU to a machine with multiple non-localhost addresses, eg

   myserver.com resolving to 192.168.122.41 + 2a00:123:456::1

because there's no way that the kernel can know/decide to automatically
listen on 192.168.122.41, when given the address 2a00:123:456::1 and if
the machine has many NICs, you can't assume the wildcard address is
suitable either.

> The attached patch against QEMU 0.11.0 extends inet_listen() to create
> sockets for as many addresses from the address list as possible and
> adapts its callers and their data structures to deal with a linked
> list of socket FDs rather than a single file descriptor.

The approach looks reasonable, though the patch is somewhat mangled
by the mix of tabs + spaces

Regards,
Daniel
--