qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Additional Platforms/Boards to Qemu

From: Thomas Monjalon
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Additional Platforms/Boards to Qemu
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:46:10 +0200

Nikos Valavanis wrote:
> I am interested in adding a Renesas ARM Multicore Cortex A9 Development
> board to Qemu. Are there any FAQs on how to this?

There is a little doc on internals:
http://git.qemu.org/qemu.git/tree/qemu-tech.texi
But nothing about adding a board.

> Is anyone else working on adding additional Platforms/Boards to Qemu?

I've begun to write some code for MPC83xx (not yet published).

I think that the best advice is to look at code for similar boards.
An important thing: Qemu is migrating its devices to qdev (see hw/qdev.c).
Another simple help, the tree hierarchy:
  - CPU emulations are in target-*/ directories ;
  - devices, SoC and boards are in hw/ directory ;
  - high level stuff are in the root directory.

To maintainers: is there any plan to better organize the tree ?

Are you (or someone else) interested in writing such a doc ?

Poll: how many people here are using Qemu for embedded development ?

--
Thomas