qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [GSoC 2010] Pass-through filesystem support.

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [GSoC 2010] Pass-through filesystem support.
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:59:45 +0200

On 12.04.2010, at 10:15, Mohammed Gamal wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:29 AM, Jamie Lokier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:

>>> i don't think virtio-CIFS has any more support out of the box (on any
>>> system) than virtio-9P.
>>
>> It doesn't, but at least network-CIFS tends to work ok and is the
>> method of choice for Windows VMs - when you can setup Samba on the
>> host (which as previously noted you cannot always do non-disruptively
>> with current Sambas).
>>
>> -- Jamie
>>

> I think having support for both 9p and CIFS would be the best option.
> In that case the user will have the option to use either one,
> depending on how their guests support these filesystems. In that case
> I'd prefer to work on CIFS support while the 9p effort can still go
> on. I don't think both efforts are mutually exclusive.

I think that the 9p support is handled by the IBM guys pretty well already.
They do need help, but I doubt they need as much help as a full GSoC student.
You're definitely free to help them out regardless of GSoC :-).

As far as CIFS goes - we currently do use CIFS in the SUSE Studio
infrastructure as data interface between host and build guests. About 80% of
all backend bugs resulted from that decision. It just breaks in the most
ridiculous ways. Just a few examples from our commit log:

  - loopback mounts on CIFS break after heavy I/O
  - moving symlinks fails
  - does not allow ':' in file names

So we're currently waiting for 9p eagerly, as that at least gives us easy
control over the stack. And it's a lot less complicated.

Also since -net user does support samba exporting already, I don't see that
much value in adding it. I'd rather like to see a virtio-9p driver for Windows.

Alex