qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [questions] savevm|loadvm

From: Juan Quintela
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [questions] savevm|loadvm
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:22:25 +0200

Wenhao Xu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, all,
> ¿ï½ I am working with switching QEMU from running in KVM mode to QEMU
> emulatoin mode dynamically.
> ¿ï½ Intuitively, if the snapshot created using savevm in kvm mode can be
> used by the loadvm command in QEMU emulator mode, the switchment could
> makes use of this.¿ I tried to do so. However, it does not work.¿ Any idea
> how to fix it?
> ¿ï½¿ Thanks for the help.

kvm uses a different memory layout (slots in qemu/kvm lingo), that means
that memory can't be migrated (that is a big problem).  Once that is
"fixed", you need to work on the several in-kernel chips that don't
exist in qemu (kvm-irq-chip and the like).  Once that is fixed, you can
look for what more things are broken.

Once here, why do you want to do that switch?

Later, Juan.