qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC projects about AHCI and S3 Trio

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC projects about AHCI and S3 Trio
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 05:56:21 +0100

Hi,

El 30/03/2010, a las 01:55, Alexander Graf escribió:

Hi Roland,

On 30.03.2010, at 01:52, Roland Elek wrote:

Dear Qemu developers,

I am a university student from Hungary interested in contributing to Qemu through Google Summer of Code. I am interested in emulation, and two projects from the ideas page in particular. One of them is AHCI emulation. Can I kindly ask you what were the hardest points that made the project get a high difficulty rating, so that I could determine whether to apply for it or not? At a first glance, I think that AHCI code from VirtualBox OSE
would be a good place to start. What do you think?

I looked at the AHCI code from vbox some time ago and deemed it unreadable. It's probably easier to go with the spec and implement it from there.

Nevertheless, if you're good at reading C++ that code might come in handy. Just don't expect to be able to take any of it over to Qemu :-). Coding styles between the two projects differ a lot.

The hard part is that it's a reasonably complex piece of hardware that needs to be emulated. The "high" ranking was basically to show people that we need someone with serious skills and eagerness to work on it :-). If you're a quick learner the skills part shouldn't be too hard. The eagerness and ambition part is the really important one.

A quick search through the mailing list archives showed that the other topic, the S3 Trio, has been around for some time now. DOSBox has support for it, and is open source, so I think we could build upon that.

Yep. On IRC there's also someone called "jai" who wanted to look into that as well. Mind to coordinate with him?

I'm the one that proposed the S3 Trio/Virge idea.
The greatest thing about this card is that almost every operating system has or had a driver for it, and has also been used in non-x86 machines extensively.

If you need testing or getting information from a real working card (I have a couple of them, all for x86 unfortuneately) just mail me.

Regards,
Natalia Portillo