qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Exposing monitor on socket interface?

From: Juan Quintela
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Exposing monitor on socket interface?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:41:20 +0100

Jun Koi <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use -monitor option to expose the monitor on socket
> interface, such as TCP or Unix domain port, so I can access the
> monitor using non-stdio way?

man qemu

search -monitor

       -monitor dev
           Redirect the monitor to host device dev (same devices as the serial
           port).  The default device is "vc" in graphical mode and "stdio" in
           non graphical mode.

search -serial

      -serial dev
           Redirect the virtual serial port to host character device dev. The
           default device is "vc" in graphical mode and "stdio" in non
           graphical mode.

           This option can be used several times to simulate up to 4 serial
           ports.

           Use "-serial none" to disable all serial ports.

           Available character devices are:

          "tcp:[host]:port[,server][,nowait][,nodelay]"
               The TCP Net Console has two modes of operation.  It can send
               the serial I/O to a location or wait for a connection from a
               location.  By default the TCP Net Console is sent to host at
               the port.  If you use the server option QEMU will wait for a
               client socket application to connect to the port before
               continuing, unless the "nowait" option was specified.  The
               "nodelay" option disables the Nagle buffering algorithm.  If
               host is omitted, 0.0.0.0 is assumed. Only one TCP connection at
               a time is accepted. You can use "telnet" to connect to the
               corresponding character device.

               "Example to send tcp console to 192.168.0.2 port 4444"
                   -serial tcp:192.168.0.2:4444

               "Example to listen and wait on port 4444 for connection"
                   -serial tcp::4444,server

               "Example to not wait and listen on ip 192.168.0.100 port 4444"
                   -serial tcp:192.168.0.100:4444,server,nowait

           "telnet:host:port[,server][,nowait][,nodelay]"
               The telnet protocol is used instead of raw tcp sockets.  The
               options work the same as if you had specified "-serial tcp".
               The difference is that the port acts like a telnet server or
               client using telnet option negotiation.  This will also allow
               you to send the MAGIC_SYSRQ sequence if you use a telnet that
               supports sending the break sequence.  Typically in unix telnet
               you do it with Control-] and then type "send break" followed by
               pressing the enter key.

I think that it is difficult to get more options that qemu in that
department :-)

Later, Juan.