qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Bug] qemu-system-ppc: "invalid/unsupported opcode" dur

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Bug] qemu-system-ppc: "invalid/unsupported opcode" during debug session
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:29:20 +0100

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 03:25:42PM +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > It is not a full fix, as the OS can actually use any instruction that
> > always generate a trap (even a memory access) as an instruction barrier
> > to make sure the following instructions are never executed. This
> > actually affects all targets, but is unlikely to happen.
>
> I'm sure I've seen code wich intentionally accesses invalid memory,
> followed by non-instruction data such as a message to print.  But I
> can't think where.

As Paul Brook explained, I am actually wrong. We don't generate an
exception in that case, but code that will generated an exception. If an
exception appears before, this code will never been executed.

So the best is to ignore this mail ;-)

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net