qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: qemu-ppc can't run static uClibc binaries.

From: Artyom Tarasenko
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: qemu-ppc can't run static uClibc binaries.
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:21:16 +0100

2010/2/17 Rob Landley <address@hidden>:

>> > What's not well enough on sparc?
>>
>>  From http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/63610:
>>
>> On Linux, sparc-softmmu can boot Linux (sparc-test) image, but QEMU
>> crashes just before command line. On OpenBSD, the same test reaches
>> command prompt.
>
> Actually the sparc-test image from http://wiki.qemu.org/download/sparc-
> test-0.2.tar.gz boots and gets me a command line just fine, and I've never had
> it die with strange errors that look like mismatched system calls and such.
> (Under ubuntu 8.04, using qemu-git from a week or so back, but this behavior's
> been consistent since I first tried it.0
>
> That image is A) built with an unknown compiler, B) running glibc (not
> uClibc), c) a crippled toy image.  (It's a read-only root filesystem that
> hasn't got a mount point for /proc.  Obviously never mean to actually be used
> for anything but very simple smoke testing.)
>
> But it does imply that qemu is capable of decently running _something_ on
> sparc, so the problems I'm seeing are more likely to be uClibc or toolchain
> issues.

qemu-sparc can decently run debian-40r8: gcc and all the other stuff
seem to work.

Most versions of the NetBSD boot. Some require the original OBP
though. The only known to me version which definetely doesn't boot is
3.0.2.

Also since the last dma fix Solaris 2.4-2.5.1 seems to be also fully
functional. Don't have a suitable compiler to check whether it's
working under Solaris though.

Debian-40r8 should have all the necessary stuff to build the uClibc
toolchain, right?

--
Regards,
Artyom Tarasenko