qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] wiki.qemu.org

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] wiki.qemu.org
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 22:47:01 +0100

Anthony Liguori schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I've been (slowly) working to convert qemu.org to a wiki in order to
> allow more community participation in the website.  I've finally got a
> site setup and to my liking with all of the www.qemu.org content
> migrated.
>
> Before doing the switch, I need to figure out what to do with the
> current texi documentation.  I think it makes sense to move
> qemu-doc.texi to a wiki page and remove it from the source
> repository.  The other option would be to link to it as an external
> page and keep it within revision control.
>
> Does anyone have strong opinions one way or another?
>
> BTW: you can take a look at the current content at
> http://wiki.qemu.org.  Once we decide what to do with the texi
> documentation, it will be reachable via http://www.qemu.org/
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori

Hi,

it's great to have an "official" QEMU wiki.
What will happen with http://qemu.kidsquid.com/?

Before removing the texi documents, there should
be solutions for these topics:

* How do we get a man page for a certain qemu release?

* How do we get online documentation for a certain qemu release?

* How do we get offline documentation (html without internet access)?

* How do we get printed documentation which looks nice?

The wiki provides online documentation. It can do this for
several qemu releases, too. But maintainance of serveral
pages which are nearly identical will be difficult.
Applying documentation patches to qemu releases is easier.

For man pages, offline or printed documentation (needed for
distributions), the texi documents work well. I see no
easy way to replace them.

Therefore I'd keep the texi documentation.

Instead of adding an external link to the wiki,
it should be possible to create mediawiki output
from texi. This output could be copied to the
qemu wiki using copy+paste, or maybe it is also
possible to create mediawiki pages automatically
on demand.

Regards,
Stefan Weil