qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 26

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 26
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:59:02 -0600

On 01/26/2010 08:50 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:
On 26.01.2010, at 15:47, Avi Kivity wrote:

On 01/26/2010 04:42 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
That's /proc/cpuinfo, we should just extend it, maybe that's what Alex meant,
but I'd like to see something more capable.

I think we're all looking at different use-cases.

First and frontmost the one type of user I'm concerned with in this case is a
mortal end-user who doesn't know that much about virtualization details and
doesn't care what NPT is. He just wants to have a VM running and wants to know
how well it'll work.

It really depends on what he does with it.  3D gaming? might have a different
experience from the always exciting kernel builds.
Well, we can give an estimation (based on previous measurements) for certain
subsystems. Like I proposed in the original mail, we can actually give users
information about virtual CPU speed.

The problem with making an unqualified statement about something like "virtual CPU speed" is that if a user runs a random benchmark, and gets less than XX%, they'll consider it a bug and be unhappy.

I'm very reluctant to take anything in QEMU that makes promises about virtualization performance. It's a bad idea IMHO.

With SPICE hopefully merged one day we also could give some estimates on 3D
performance.

Spice doesn't support 3D today.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori